Friday, October 16, 2009

Football: WEEK 6 2009 PICKS

WEEK 6 NFL PICKS
by Justin Henry

Problem: I go 8-6 on my picks last week, putting too much stock into the Jaguars, Jets, and Bills. Solution: Make up for it the following week.

This week's theme: Gladiator. Because somebody I care about wanted to see it. They know who they are.

LAST WEEK 8-6

St. Louis at Jacksonville
"Forget you ever knew me, and never come back here again." - Maximus (Russell Crowe)
With Rush Limbaugh not welcome amongst the buying partners for the Rams, consider that the most interesting story you'll hear about them this year. Jacksonville's embarassing loss to the returning Matt Hasselbeck last week should spark some madness. Maurice Jones-Drew with a revenge game? Limbaugh was the only "Rush" the Rams are going to stop this week
MY PICK: Jacksonville 31, St. Louis 7

Kansas City at Washington
"The Senate is the people, sire. Chosen from among the people, to speak for the people." - Gracchus (Derek Jacobi)
So the Redskins players are fighting for Jim Zorn, and Carlos Rogers even goes as far as to throw the soggy mess into the lap of Daniel Snyder. The players have spoken, but I fear it's going to fall on deaf ears. If the Redskins lose this game, I sense either a major change this week, or at least a major public spat for the media to chew on between Snyder and Zorn. You know what? Kansas City fights hard in spite of their circumstances. They win and possibly kick the stool out from under Zorn.
MY PICK: Kansas City 24, Washington 20

Houston at Cincinnati
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero (Tommy Flanagan)
Ever so apt for Chad Ocho Cinco, no? The Bengals can seemingly do no wrong, winning under epic circumstances each time. This week, no miracle win necessary. As long as Houston's defense is terrible, Cedric Benson will mow them down.
MY PICK: Cincinnati 27, Houston 17

Baltimore at Minnesota
"I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people." - Gracchus (Derek Jacobi)
I admire Adrian Peterson for keeping to himself and quietly racking up another brilliant season while the media fawns over Jesus Favre. Peterson doesn't pretend to be a religious figure. Though I feel he's going to need some divine intervention to run on a pissed off Ravens D. Minnesota's first loss? I'd bet on it.
MY PICK: Baltimore 17, Minnesota 13

Detroit at Green Bay
"He sleeps so well because he is loved." - Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix)
No one in Detroit has a bad thing to say about Matthew Stafford. Why? Because he won! He ended the Motor City nightmare in week three, but that maaaay be the apex of the season. Green Bay needs traction, and the best way to start is to unleash Aaron Rodger's arm on the light blue crew.
MY PICK: Green Bay 31, Detroit 17

Cleveland at Pittsburgh
"Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back." - Proximo (Oliver Reed)
Whatever Eric Mangini sold to Browns fans in the offseason has worn off entirely, and a victory in spite of Derek Anderson's "career day" won't be changing that. The champs love to hurt the Browns, and what a hurting it's going to be. Rashard Mendenhall. If you have him in fantasy, um, I'd start him.
MY PICK: Pittsburgh 34, Cleveland 6

Carolina at Tampa Bay
"Give him time, Gracchus. He's young, he may do very well." - Falco (David Schofield)
Where the hell did Josh Johnson come from? Inexperienced as he is, his quick release, as well as his chemistry with Kellen Winslow, made him look like a future star against Philadelphia last week. This time, it's an easier defense. I take him and his winless bunch to knock off Carolina, and send John Fox spiraling further toward a studio job.
MY PICK: Tampa Bay 17, Carolina 10

New York Giants at New Orleans
"I didn't know men could build such things." - Juba (Djimon Hounsou)
Who would have thought that Eli Manning could build a great receiving corp out of disassembled parts? Who would have guessed that Sean Payton could create the offense from Hell with Drew Brees as an absolute wrecking machine? Should be a very close game, but it comes down to Jeremy Shockey spilling his guts on Eli's tendencies and the Saints preparing for them. A little knowledge goes a long way.
MY PICK: New Orleans, 21, New York 20

Arizona at Seattle
"I know that you are a man of your word, General. I know that you would die for honor, for Rome, for the memory of your ancestors. But as for me? I'm an entertainer." - Proximo (Oliver Reed)
Aptly describes the relationship between Kurt Warner and Matt Leinart, methinks. Warner's still got a cannon, and Seattle's not playing the schizo Jaguars this week. The Seahawks are about to get reacquainted with Larry Fitzgerald and it's going to suck. Unless the Madden Curse factors in. But still, yeah, Arizona.
MY PICK: Arizona 37, Seattle 21

Philadelphia at Oakland
"I am required to kill, so I kill. That is enough." - Maximus (Russell Crowe)
I think Sean McDermott's having too much fun with these blitz packages. Josh Johnson got chased like David Spade at the end of PCU last week, and I sense JaMarcus Russell won't be able to outrun the gunners like Johnson was able to. Meanwhile, Jeff Garcia will watch from home with his beautiful Playmate wife and nod painfully at the proceedings.
MY PICK: Philadelphia 38, Oakland 9

Buffalo at New York Jets
"At my signal, unleash hell." - Maximus (Russell Crowe)
Two straight losses, as well as blowing three leads in the fourth quarter against the Dolphins, will not sit will with Coachasaurus Rex. Goodnight, Buffalo!
MY PICK: New York 34, Buffalo 10

Tennessee at New England
"I may die here in this cell or in the arena tomorrow. What possible difference can I make?" - Maximus (Russell Crowe)
I think Kerry Collins feels more useless by the day. It's like a death march from the tunnel to the field for he and the Titans. On the other sideline, Bill Belichick is still mad that he lost to his old student, Punky Brewster, last week. Time to take some aggression out on the confusingly bad ex-Oilers
MY PICK: New England 31, Tennessee 13

Chicago at Atlanta
"If only you had been born a man, what a Caesar you would have made." - Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris)
If only Jay Cutler had been born a man, he would....I kid, In fact, I like this new, more contrite Jay Cutler. With Atlanta riding a bit too high after crushing the 49ers this past week, I think Cutler corrals them with equal doses Johnny Knox and Devin Hester.
MY PICK: Chicago 27, Atlanta 17

Denver at San Diego
"Your Emperor asks for your loyalty, Maximus. Take my hand, I only offer it once." - Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix)
Once upon a time, Broncos fans wanted Josh McDaniels dead. Now, he truly IS the Emperor. He's nice enough to welcome the previously-haters into his bretheren, and they will flock as long as he's winning. Tough road ahead, and it looks like loss number one this week. San Diego's coming off a bye and they're home. No worries, Josh. It's only one smudge.
MY PICK: San Diego 20, Denver 17

When he isn’t watching WWE, TNA, or his beloved Philadelphia Eagles and Phillies, Justin Henry can be found writing. It is his passion as well as his goal in life to become a well-regarded columnist or author. He tweets at http://twitter.com/mindofjrhsports and facebooks himself at http://www.facebook.com/notoriousjrh.

1 comment:

  1. If you would have picked the Falcons last week then you could have been 9-5. Never pick against Mike Smith and the crew coming off a loss. Another record you need to be familiar with is Matty Ice's 9-1 record at home in his career with the Falcons. Based on the Falcons leadership (guys like Matty Ice, Tony Gonzales, John Abraham, Curtis Lofton) they aren't the type of team to get too full of themselves so I like us at home this week. I think it will be a tight contest but I see the Falcons prevailing.

    ReplyDelete